VIDEO of show / Audio Archive
The President’s attempt to trick his drugged-up attorney general into breaking the law goes awry.
Today, Mark exposes Thursday’s shocking testimony of James Comey, the Deputy Attorney General of the United States (No. 2 under Ashcroft) who explained to the Senate Judiciary Committee in 2004 how Bush sent Alberto Gonzales to trick the severely ill Ashcroft into signing a blatantly illegal order to spy on millions of Americans and how Ashcroft, weak from his surgery, still strongly refused. Comey’s testimony has been WIPED from C-SPAN but is preserved here unedited with Mark’s powerful commentary. Reality is more powerful than fiction.
When Ashcroft said no, the Bush Administration went ahead in knowing and flagrant violation of the law to reauthorize a program that every single lawyer on staff knew was violently unconstitutional. The USA was then set on a path toward Soviet East-German style Government warrantless spying on all its citizens.
Only after the threatened simultaneous resignation of the top three Justice Department officials — Ashcroft, Comey, and Solicitor General Ted Olson, along with their chiefs of staff and the Director of the FBI (!) months before the 2004 election did Bush finally relent and agree to respect the US Constitution.
(Audio clip courtesy of PoliticsTV.com)
From the 59th Annual Conference on World Affairs in Boulder, Colorado, a detailed look at the Republican and Democratic candidates running for President in 2008:
Originally broadcast before a live audience of several hundred people on April 10, 2007 in Boulder, Colorado.
How his intolerance and specific brand of fundamentalism built the modern Republican Party…Perhaps Falwell’s most famous quotation concerned 9/11: “I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say ‘you helped this happen.'”
VIDEO of show / Audio Archive
Guest: Buzz Hawley, who, like Mark, used to work for Congress, but Buzz worked for a Republican (Frank Wolf). Watch these two ex-Congressional staffers battle it out over:
– the Iraq War and the Presidential Vetos of Congressional funding/withdrawal bills
– Alberto Gonzales and the 9th prosecutor fired (Todd Graves of Kansas City, Missouri)
– the DC gun ban (recently declared unconstitutional under the 2nd Amendment in a case likely to go to the US Supreme Court) and the NYC-Virginia dispute over gun sting operations
– How Tony Blair was hurt by Bush
– the CIA’s failures
– a Republican Congressman’s defense of torture and extralegal kidnapping
– AND any topic you’d like to add to the debate
- 7/19/2019 Radio Inside Scoop
- 7/19/2019 You Can’t Eat Racism
- 7/11/2019 Trumpism: Self Loathing Turned Outward
- 6/27/2019 What About The Children?
- 6/20/2019 Trump: Ready to Collude Again
- 6/13/2019 An Existential Threat
- 6/6/2019 Guns, Gays, Abortion, and Freedom!
- 5/30/2019 Mueller to Congress: Impeach!
- 5/23/2019 “I Don’t Do Cover-Ups.” Trump Takes America Hostage
- 5/16/2019 Are Women Human? Alabama Says No