This guy explains it well:
This op-ed was published last week at Politix.Topix.com (before President Obama called for intervention):
Auschwitz. Bergen-Belsen. Buchenwald. Treblinka.
Rwanda. Cambodia. Darfur. Armenia.
Mass murder. Genocide. Ethnic cleansing.
Syria. Seriously. Syria.
When I hear pundits – on the left or the right – say that the death of hundreds of thousands of non-Americans does “not affect our national interest,” I shudder.
Made my second appearance on the Daily Show Monday night.Unlike last time, it wasn’t a speaking part this time. In fact, I was making dinner and listening to the show and missed it! It’s only a few seconds. It occurs at 45 seconds in and I’m in the lower right box while the guy in the lower left box is speaking about Medicare being the “third rail of American politics.” Still, it’s nice to be back.
My first appearance was much better!
Jon Stewart Mocks Me for “Nagging Corporations”
(My clip is at 2:50)
I love July 4th.
Every July 4th, I go out on to the Mall in Washington to watch the best fireworks display in the country. But I don’t come in the evening. I make a picnic and come out in the early afternoon. All day long, I sit with friends, eat, and play games. And look around.
You see, the best part of July 4th is talking with my fellow citizens — the 100,000 or so Americans from across the country who are joining us on the Mall. Watching the young kids roll in the grass, the old-timers sit in their chairs, the college kids throwing frisbees, and the wonderful diversity that is America — Black, White, Latino, Asian, new immigrants, people whose ancestors fought in the Revolution, large loud raucous Italian families, rednecks with beer bellies, gay families, and religious families all enjoying the beautiful day (or taking cover in the Lincoln Memorial when it rains).
On July 4th, there are no Democrats or Republicans, no nasty partisan attacks or “the President is Hitler” signs. Just an easy, happy patriotism that the vast majority of Americans share.
On this day, E Pluribus Unum. We are all one. Even in Washington, DC.
I love July 4th.
- 12/17/2020 The Curse of Alternative Facts
- 12/10/2020 Will the Republican War on Democracy Lead to Violence?
- 12/3/2020 Is There a Religious Right to Kill Others? PLUS: The Grift that Keeps On Grifting
- 11/19/2020 Comedy/Catastrophe: Keystone Coup Causing Countless COVID Casualties
- 11/12/2020 President-Elect Biden v. Frankenstein’s Monster
- 11/5/2020 Take a Deep Breath. Within 24-96 Hours, Joe Biden Will Be President-Elect
- 10/29/2020 Vote Now for a Biden Landslide Beyond the ‘Margin of Cheating’
- 10/22/2020 The End Is Near
- 10/15/2020 You Can End Democracy, Health Care, & Human Freedom With a More Pleasant Demeanor. Ask ACB to Show You How
- 10/8/2020 The Republican Death Cult