Editorial published in Buzzflash
In verifying the accuracy of the ads of the now notorious â€œSwift Boat Veterans for Truth,â€ the media has quite rightly focused on the details of their accounts: how their attacks on John Kerry contradict their own prior statements, official Navy records, and the accounts of Kerryâ€™s crew.
But lost in the media hoopla is the motivation of these men.
[To read rest of Mark’s op-ed, go to Buzzflash or click below]
(archived broadcast )
Swift Boat Veterans for “Truth” (Swift Boat Veterans for Bush) have changed their stories so many times that it takes time and detail to go through each of the men and show each to be a liar. We will do that on today’s INSIDE SCOOP. Many of these lies were made under oath (ironically, the reason the Republicans say they impeached Bill Clinton). Bush still refuses to disavow the ads.
(archived broadcast )
A special 90-minute broadcast will play the full June 30, 1971 Vietnam War debate on the Dick Cavett Show between 27-year-old John Kerry and his nemesis, 25-year-old John O’Neill.
John O’Neill, the author of Unfit for Command and founder of “Swift Boat Veterans for Truth” has been dogging John Kerry ever since O’Neill was asked to do so by President Richard Nixon 23 years ago. O’Neill’s vicious personal attacks and John Kerry’s measured statesmanlike responses, and their respective comments on the war are surprisingly illustrative of the same situation we face today. An articulate Kerry explains his view on “war crimes” committed by U.S. troops, an articulate O’Neill, beneath a polite veneer, can barely mask his contempt for anyone who opposes the Vietnam War. And there is no mention of any of the charges that Kerry did not earn his medals (the charges O’Neill would make 23 years later).
You won’t want to miss the debate or Mark Levine’s commentary on it for an incisive understanding of what drives the man who will likely be the next President of the United States — John Kerry — and the forces that drive his enemies.
Far more than soundbites and superficial discussion, it’s THE INSIDE SCOOP.
- 12/17/2020 The Curse of Alternative Facts
- 12/10/2020 Will the Republican War on Democracy Lead to Violence?
- 12/3/2020 Is There a Religious Right to Kill Others? PLUS: The Grift that Keeps On Grifting
- 11/19/2020 Comedy/Catastrophe: Keystone Coup Causing Countless COVID Casualties
- 11/12/2020 President-Elect Biden v. Frankenstein’s Monster
- 11/5/2020 Take a Deep Breath. Within 24-96 Hours, Joe Biden Will Be President-Elect
- 10/29/2020 Vote Now for a Biden Landslide Beyond the ‘Margin of Cheating’
- 10/22/2020 The End Is Near
- 10/15/2020 You Can End Democracy, Health Care, & Human Freedom With a More Pleasant Demeanor. Ask ACB to Show You How
- 10/8/2020 The Republican Death Cult