Today is the 50th Anniversary of Gideon v. Wainwright, the 1963 Supreme Court decision that ensures that every person charged with a crime is entitled to an attorney even if he/she cannot afford one.
How does the promise of Gideon hold up a half century after the ruling?
Roopal Patel, Fellow at the Brennan Center’s Justice Program and former attorney with the Department of Justice
Jonathan Rapping, President/Founder of the Southern Public Defender Training Center and Director of Criminal Justice Program at John Marshall Law School
Karen Houppert, Journalist and Author of Chasing Gideon: The Elusive Quest for Poor People’s Justice
Andrew Ferguson, Professor of Law at the University of the District of Columbia and former public defender
David Carroll, Executive Director of the Sixth Amendment Center
Avis Buchanan, Director of the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia
The cherry blossoms are blooming and Washington is typically dysfunctional.
What Rand Paul’s Speech at Howard University tells us about race and the Republican Party.
Survivors speak out.
To stop this abuse, call your Member of Congress at 202-225-3121 and ask them to support the Stop Child Abuse in Residential Programs for Teens Act of 2013.
[The video periodically goes out occasionally, including at the outset of the show for two minutes. But don’t worry. More than 95% of the show is shown on video.]
- 12/17/2020 The Curse of Alternative Facts
- 12/10/2020 Will the Republican War on Democracy Lead to Violence?
- 12/3/2020 Is There a Religious Right to Kill Others? PLUS: The Grift that Keeps On Grifting
- 11/19/2020 Comedy/Catastrophe: Keystone Coup Causing Countless COVID Casualties
- 11/12/2020 President-Elect Biden v. Frankenstein’s Monster
- 11/5/2020 Take a Deep Breath. Within 24-96 Hours, Joe Biden Will Be President-Elect
- 10/29/2020 Vote Now for a Biden Landslide Beyond the ‘Margin of Cheating’
- 10/22/2020 The End Is Near
- 10/15/2020 You Can End Democracy, Health Care, & Human Freedom With a More Pleasant Demeanor. Ask ACB to Show You How
- 10/8/2020 The Republican Death Cult