Blowback!December 28, 2003
Blowback! How American Support of Dictators Comes Back to Hurt Us
Special guest: Professor Chalmers Johnson
Bush Education PolicyDecember 21, 2003
Leaving Children Behind
Special Guest: D.C. Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton
In his campaign, Govenor Bush promised to be a different sort of Republican on Education. Like his father — who promised to be the “Education President” but did little to improve it — G.W. Bush promised to “leave no child left behind.”
Congress took President Bush at his word, and a bipartisan majority approved his “No Child Left Behind Act” which was supposed to increase the accountability of schools via frequent national testing AND increase the funds going to our public schools.
Illegal ImmigrationDecember 14, 2003
What is the economic impact? What should be done about it?
There are estimates of eight million undocumented immigrants in the United States, most of them from Mexico. Many of them take the worst jobs that Americans donâ€™t want. They are often paid substandard wages and work in substandard conditions.
Employers hire them â€“ and not US citizens â€“ precisely because they will work under such appalling conditions.
Medicare BillDecember 7, 2003
The Prescription Drug Bill: Aid to Seniors or a Threat to Medicare?
On Monday December 8, President Bush signed into law a bill providing the most sweeping changes to the nation’s health care system since Medicare’s creation in 1965. The bill would provide billions in prescription drug benefits to some senior citizens. It also would provide billions of dollars in corporate welfare to a wide variety of corporate health-care providers to help them compete with the government in providing Medicare. Unlike the private companies, however, Medicare would be prohibited from negotiating lower drug rates for seniors under its care thus ensuring that it cannot compete in the free market with the private companies.
- 12/17/2020 The Curse of Alternative Facts
- 12/10/2020 Will the Republican War on Democracy Lead to Violence?
- 12/3/2020 Is There a Religious Right to Kill Others? PLUS: The Grift that Keeps On Grifting
- 11/19/2020 Comedy/Catastrophe: Keystone Coup Causing Countless COVID Casualties
- 11/12/2020 President-Elect Biden v. Frankenstein’s Monster
- 11/5/2020 Take a Deep Breath. Within 24-96 Hours, Joe Biden Will Be President-Elect
- 10/29/2020 Vote Now for a Biden Landslide Beyond the ‘Margin of Cheating’
- 10/22/2020 The End Is Near
- 10/15/2020 You Can End Democracy, Health Care, & Human Freedom With a More Pleasant Demeanor. Ask ACB to Show You How
- 10/8/2020 The Republican Death Cult